Planning your farming future, together
What are you and your farming partner doing it all for?
Why do you pull on the wet-weathers, get stuck-in and add yet another job to the to-do list?
In the long run, it's the big stuff - like family & succession, legacy, values, your community - that makes it all worth it.
Future Focus is about putting your shared goals & vision at the top of the to-do list for a change. A chance to step back from the daily grind, get the big stuff down on paper and make your future feel real, together.
What to expect from Future Focus:
- Co-design your vision for the future with your critical farming partner (your spouse, business partner, sibling, parent etc).
- Identify key financial & performance indicators and understand where your business is at now.
- Learn how to approach business planning as a team - leverage each other's strengths, share the load and make decisions together.
- Create an action plan with specific outcomes and learn systems for staying on track.
- Guidance from expert facilitators and connections with like-minded, local farming partners.
Future Focus 2020:
- Programmes are delivered over two days (10am to 5:30pm) a month apart.
- Programmes are open to all sheep, beef and dairy farming partners and limited to 8 partnerships (16 participants) per programme.
- If you're not quite ready to register for a specific Future Focus programme, hit the 'Register interest for a Future Programme' button below and we'll let you know when the next sersies starts.
- If you can get a few local farming partnerships together, we would love to consider bringing a programme to you! Let us know via email@example.com
- Future Focus is heavily subsidised by the Red Meat Profit Partnership (RMPP). The full programme costs just $295 +GST per farming partnership. Payment is required to confirm your registration and you can view our refund policy here.
* The Red Meat Profit Partnership (RMPP) is a Primary Growth Partnership programme that is working to help the red meat sector increase productivity and profitability. RMPP works alongside AWDT to deliver Future Focus throughout New Zealand.
Feedback from participants
- David and Rebekah Kelly
- Graduate feedback
- Richard Morrison
David and Rebekah Kelly
North Canterbury sheep and beef farmers, David and Rebekah Kelly run 9000 stock units on 2000 hectares of dryland hill country in Waiau.
“The great thing about having sat and committed this plan to paper is that we know what page we’re on – we know that we’re on the same page together and that as things change we can evolve that plan."
“Working on our plan together has meant we are now on the same page and working towards the same goals - plus it flagged up some things we wanted individually that the other didn’t know about. The opportunity to have conversations that were important to our partnership that we would have otherwise not had. The tools for communication gave us both an insight into working with each others personality in a way that would benefit our relationship and the business.”
To help us identify our values we independently drew a picture of what we want to achieve in farming. Remarkably but not surprisingly, my fiance’s and my pictures looked very similar. Our set of values were also very similar. Family, Honesty, Inclusive, Innovative.
Hear from our participants
Future Focus participants talk about why they decided to do the programme and their experiences.
Module One: Business planning covers defining your vision, understanding where your
business is at currently (i.e. identifying key financial & performance indicators),
creating a business plan and identifying your goals, stepping-stones and key actions
needed in achieving your vision.
Module Two: Business planning implementation and leadership covers a review of your
business plan with like-minded farming partnerships, understanding how to keep your
plan moving, creating good business habits, developing personal leadership skills
and learning how to “show up” for business success.
- Two full days over two months: 10.00am - 5:30pm both days
- Homework to develop your business plan between modules
- Each programme is limited to 16 participants / 8 partnerships
- All details are confirmed with participants before the programme starts